The country’s leader in transforming the lives of the people through excellent health care, education and research, accessible to all.
As the National University Hospital, we are committed to delivering globally-competitive, cost-effective, compassionate and accessible health care to the Filipinos, to provide a world-class education to health professionals, and to generate relevant research that will impact on health policies.
PGH Core Values
Service – Having the commitment to place customer satisfaction at the core of our organization’s business.
Professionalism – Adherence to courtesy, honesty, and responsibility in the discharge of one’s duty.
Integrity – Having moral discernment, it is doing the right thing at all times and in all circumstances.
Compassion – The motivation to relieve the suffering of others.
Excellence – When we demand more from ourselves than our clients do.
PGH Quality Policy
As the national university hospital and premier referral center, the Philippine General Hospital (PGH), University of the Philippines Manila is committed to quality service, training, and research.
PGH shall implement and continually improve the Quality Management System (QMS) to conform with requirements of patients, regulatory agencies, other stakeholders and the performance goals set by management.
PGH shall develop and enhance competent and compassionate human resources and ensure a safe work environment.
In 1907, the Philippine Commission passed Act No. 1688 which appropriated the sum of P780,000.00 for the construction of the Philippine General Hospital (PGH).
PGH opened its door to the public on September 1, 1910, during the administration of Hon. Dean C. Worcester as Secretary of the Interior and Dr. Victor G. Heiser as Director of Health. PGH was declared to be a Division of the Bureau of Health by the passage of Act No. 1989, which took effect on July 1, 1910. The PGH actually started functioning on September 2, 1910.
PGH was established primarily to provide medical/surgical services to non-infective conditions, especially among indigent Filipinos. However, it was not until September 10, 1910, that the PGH was formally inaugurated.
By virtue of the Department of Public Instruction Order No. 1, series of 1937, the PGH was supervised and controlled by the Department of Public Instruction thru the Commissioner of Health and Welfare.
In 1947, by virtue of Executive Order No. 94, Philippine President Manuel Roxas transferred PGH to the University of the Philippines; this officially designated PGH as UP’s teaching hospital.
Under Executive Order 391, effective January 1, 1951, the PGH was reorganized but continued under the supervision and control of the University of the Philippines.
- On Service – PGH ensures that all patients understand their conditions and are able to participate in their own treatments. PGH has 19 clinical departments which, with their attached units, offer excellent facilities for the delivery of comprehensive care for both healthy and sick Filipinos, especially the poor and marginalized, seeking specialty and subspecialty care.
- On Training – PGH is the heart of the University’s Health Sciences Campus. It is in PGH that postgraduate and undergraduate students undergo rigorous clinical rotations in various departments under the tutelage of leaders in the fields of medicine, nursing, and allied health professions. Didactics, ward rounds and preceptorships, emergency room duties, outpatient clinics, operating theater rotations, and departmental and interdepartmental conferences are included in the clinical rotations. Other key features of their education such as leadership, community and social organization and resource mobilization ensure holistic training geared towards molding the future leaders of Philippine medical and allied medical professionals.
- On Research – PGH continues to focus on research initiatives that impact on national health policies. With the dawning of evidence-based medicine and the emergence of new health and medical problems, PGH puts further focus on researches designed towards improving the quality of life of every Filipino.
PGH Background Information
In 1907, the Philippine Commission passed Act No. 1688 for the construction of the Philippine General Hospital (PGH). PGH opened its doors to the public on September 1, 1910, under the administration of Hon. Dean C. Worcester as Secretary of the Interior and Dr. Victor G. Heiser as Director of Health. However, it was not until September 10, 1910, that PGH was formally inaugurated.
PGH was eventually linked to the UP College of Medicine (UPCM), then the Philippine Medical School. In 1914, PGH became a Division of the Bureau of Health, with the Dean of UPCM Dr. William Musgrave serving as its Division Chief.
From 1916 to 1936, PGH was placed under the first Filipino administration of Dr. Felipe Calderon, also UPCM Dean. In 1937, by virtue of the Department of Public Instruction Order No. 1, PGH was supervised and controlled by the Department of Public Instruction thru the Commissioner of Health and Welfare.
In 1939, President Manuel Quezon transferred PGH from the Department of Public Instruction to the Office of the President of the Philippines. President Quezon entrusted the general administration as well as the technical supervision and control of the hospital to the UPCM Dean and concurrent PGH Director, Dr. Antonio Sison.
In 1947, by virtue of Executive Order No. 94, President Manuel Roxas transferred PGH to the University of the Philippines; this officially designated PGH as UP’s teaching hospital. Under Executive Order 391, effective January 1, 1951, PGH was reorganized but continued under the supervision and control of the University of the Philippines.
In 1954, President Ramon Magsaysay separated PGH from the UPCM administratively.
The following years witnessed the establishment of different units and clinics attesting to the physical and organizational growth of the hospital that enabled it to provide a wide range of health care services to patients and training for health students and health workers.
In 1989 and 1990, the new Outpatient Department and the 8-story Central Block Building opened, respectively.
In 1992, the PGH Outpatient Department was given the Salamin ng Bayan award. It was adjudged as one of the outstanding government offices based on compliance with specific provisions of RA 6713 also known as the Code of Conduct and Ethical Standards for Public Officials and Employees. In 1993, PGH was recognized as the Outstanding Government Institution in Health by the Philippine Chamber of Health and was given the Baby-Friendly Hospital Award by the World Health Organization.
In 2007, PGH was cited as a Gold Trusted brand by the Reader’s Digest Asia and was conferred the prestigious Presidential Lingkod Bayan Award by the Civil Service Commission.
In 2009, PGH was audited by the Anglo-Japanese-American (AJA) Registrars, Inc. and was subsequently granted the much-coveted ISO 9001:2008 certificate for having complied with internationally-accepted quality management system standards.
In 2012, PGH was given the Pro-active Programs Achievement Award in the two categories – Quality and Productivity Category and Family Welfare and Community Relations Programs Category by the Department of Trade and Industry – Center for Industrial Competitiveness in its annual Search for Model Companies. This award was given to companies that contribute to the national effort in the promotion of industrial peace and harmony, improved productivity, and competitiveness.
Today, PGH is considered the biggest modern government tertiary hospital in the Philippines, servicing more than 600,000 patients annually. It remains the only national referral center for tertiary care, providing direct and quality patient services to thousands of indigent Filipinos all over the country.